Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Night Chocolate Chunk Cookies

This Christmas I was given a beautiful Ice blue Kitchen Aid upright mixer. As a novice baker, the upright mixer is essential. I have never been much of a cook or a baker. My grandmother was an amazing cook for dishes that were heavy on the butter...Southern style. However, she had a complicated relationship with my mother and never handed down her skill. By the time I was born, she had succumbed My mother never had the ambition to master cooking or baking. She would occasionally make some pretty tasty dishes, but for the majority of my childhood, I grew up in a household that mostly ate canned or frozen food.

Over the years, I've learned a few recipes, mainly things for bringing to social events. But as a mid to late twenty something, I've found myself more drawn to late nights in the kitchen that to late nights at a bar. 

Tonight, I broke in my upright mixer for the first time. Initially, I had hoped to make French Macarons but lacked all the ingredients. (I will definitely do a post on my first foray into making macarons). For this Sunday evening, I made a modified version of Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman's) Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

You can find the complete recipe on Ree's website (here).

An action shot mid batter blending: My beloved pink piggy measuring cups, my new beautiful mixer and my Grandmother's French "flour" and "sugar" jars. Something about pastel kitchen tools makes me smile even more than usual when I'm baking!
My modification for this recipe was that I didn't include the instant coffee because I didn't have any on hand. All in all, my fiance loved snacking on these while we watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together. A simple chocolate chunk cookie is such an amazing desert to snack on while curling up on the couch.

I hope that you enjoy trying out this recipe and maybe add it to your Sunday night repertoire. Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird