Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Taming the Beast: How to keep an unruly cowlick at bay.

For the majority of my life, I have been the girl with the thick, Vidal Sassoon style bangs. At times, when I was younger, they looked more like they had been cut by a blind barber...I'm not sure what happened.
Seriously, who cut these bangs???
Either way, they made for amazing old school photos to look back on and laugh at. As a teen and twenty something, I switched it up from side swept bangs to thick blunt bangs.
My classic thick bang look. And me forcing my dog to pose for a photo. PETA, please, let me off the hook on this. He's a rescue at least. 


Until the Fox show New Girl with Zooey Deschanel became a thing. Suddenly, I was being told on an almost daily basis how much I looked like Zooey Deschanel. At first, I was excited. How awesome to be compared to a pretty Hollywood actress. Eventually, it became a little frustrating because I started to feel like my look wasn't quite so original. Cue a massive hair cut, growing out of my bangs and I was no longer Zooey Deschanel's frumpy stunt double. Unfortunately, I was faced with the reason as to why I'd had bangs for years. A massive cowlick right at my part line. 
So....what do I do? Use hair spray?
D-List Zooey Deschanel, is that you????

Here's that massive hair cut--notice that I still have some bang going on. 


Hair spray didn't work. Half a can later, my hair was now standing up straight and appeared to be soaking wet. Not quite the look I was going for. 
Gel? --Haha, nope, it just looked like I had chunks of hard hair still still refused to be tamed. 
So, whats the solution.
Still waging war on the bang/cowlick. 

Odd as it sounds, it's all about using CLEAR MASCARA. I like using Cover Girl because it is cheap and lasts for a while. I was using ELF clear mascara for a bit of time but it ended up running out after barely a month. Not really worth the time. And I don't want to have to run back the store quite so quickly. 
Life minus the cowlick. See, he loves me!

Either way, this means of taming my cowlick is so subtle it just makes my cowlick disappear. It lasts all day, my hair doesn't look wet or over styled and it is easy to transport for touch-ups...like if you're caught in a windstorm or something. 

I even brought it to my engagement photo session and my photographer thought it was an amazing trick. I hope that this can help other people out their with unruly cowlicks.


Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird