Sunday, January 4, 2015

How To: Fix a Wet I Phone

If you have a smart phone, chances are likely that you've experienced a sad tale of breaking the screen or ruining your phone thanks to an unfortunate experience with some body of water.

For me, J Crew's GiGi pant, a trip to the bathroom, and my phone in my back pocket resulted in my i phone going on an unexpected toilet swim. Perhaps the dirty martinis were to blame but lets not point any fingers. To risk further over-sharing, my phone in the toilet event took place before I had used the facilities. (Thank goodness).

After hearing the heartbreaking "plop" of my phone diving into the the wet world of the porcelain gods, I made a quick grab for my phone hoping dearly that my speed might save my phone. To no avail. After letting my phone soak in a bag of instant rice, I was still left with a non functioning phone. A little bit of water can certainly wreak havoc on a touch screen phone.

Enter some creativity on my fiance's end, the beef jerky making and tech connoisseur. To save your wet i phone, hopefully you have a meat dehydrator. Take the SIM card and any cases off of your phone and dry it as best you can. Power the phone down (if you can). I was unable to turn my phone off so it spent a total of 8 hours in a meat dehydrator while being on. By removing the SIM card, this opens up the phone enough to allow for better air circulation. So far, my phone has been restored to its original function. Keep the phone in the dehydrator at the lowest temperature setting. Feel free to periodically check on your phone. If this trick works, you should be able to detect the phone drying out and responding better to touch commands. Warning: make yourself very comfortable because this trick takes many hours. It can be accomplished in a day which is probably less time (and money) than it would take to purchase a new phone.

Hopefully this tip can help people out there suffering from the same misfortune that befell me. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird